Hello folks, we are back again with more UPSC-related study material. Today we are sharing UPSC Mains Environment Previous Year Questions Pdf Download 2021.
The previous year’s question paper lays the foundation for strengthening further preparation. We have tried arranging the paper topic wise eg. Science and Technology, History, Geography, etc.
List of Questions asked in Mains UPSC
UPSC Mains Environment Questions 2019
1. Coastal sand mining, whether legal or illegal, poses one of the biggest threats to our environment. Analyze the impact of sand mining along the Indian coasts, citing specific examples. (150 words) 10
2. Define the concept of carrying capacity of an ecosystem as relevant to an environment. Explain how understanding this concept is vital while planning for the sustainable development of a region. (250 words) 15
3. Discuss the causes of depletion of mangroves and explain their importance in maintaining coastal ecology. (GS-1) (150 words) 10
4. How can the mountain ecosystem be restored from the negative impact of development initiatives and tourism? (GS-1) (250 words) 15
UPSC Mains Environment Questions 2018
1. What are the impediments in disposing of the huge qualities of discarded solid wastes which are continuously being generated? How do we remove safely the toxic wastes that have been accumulating in our habitable environment? (150 words) 10
2. What is a wetland? Explain the Ramsar concept of ‘wise use’ in the context of wetland conservation. Cite two examples of Ramsar sites from India. (150 words) 10
3. How does biodiversity vary in India? How is the Biological Diversity Act, 2002 helpful in the conservation of flora and fauna? (250 words) 15
4. What are the consequences of the spreading of ‘Dead Zones’ on the marine ecosystem? (GS-1) (150 words) 10
5. “Policy contradictions among various competing sectors and stakeholders have resulted in inadequate ‘protection and prevention of degradation to the environment”. Comment with relevant illustrations.
UPSC Mains Environment Questions 2017
1. “Inspite of adverse environmental impact, coal mining is still inevitable for development”. Discuss (150 words) (10 Marks)
2. Not many years ago, river linking was a concept but it is becoming reality in the country. Discuss the advantages of river linking and its possible impact on the environment. (150 words, (GS-3) (10)
3. ‘Climate Change’ is a global problem. How India will be affected by climate change? How Himalayan and coastal states of India will be affected by climate change? (250 words) (15)
UPSC Mains Environment Questions 2016
1. Discuss the Rehabilitation of human settlements is one of the important environmental impacts which always attracts controversy while planning major projects. Discuss the measures suggested for mitigation of this impact while proposing major developmental projects.
UPSC Mains Environment Questions 2015
1. Discuss the Namami Gange and National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) programs and causes of mixed results from the previous schemes. What quantum leaps can help preserve the river Ganga better than incremental inputs?
UPSC Mains Environment Questions 2014
1. Should the pursuit of carbon credits and clean development mechanisms set up under UNFCCC be maintained even though there has been a massive slide in the value of a carbon credit? Discuss with respect to India’s energy needs for economic growth.
2. Environmental Impact Assessment Studies are increasingly undertaken before a project is cleared by the Government. Discuss the environmental impacts of coal-fired thermal plants located at coal pitheads.
UPSC Mains Environment Questions 2013
1. What are the consequences of illegal mining? Discuss the Ministry of Environment and Forest concept of GO AND NO GO zones for the coal mining sector. (200 words) (10)
2. Enumerate the National Water Policy of India. Taking river Ganges as an example, discuss the strategies which may be adopted for river water pollution control and management. What are the legal provisions of the management and handling of hazardous wastes in India? (200 words)
Download UPSC Mains Environment Questions Previous Year
We at www.upscfreematerials.org, are working only with the aim of making Education Accessible and Affordable to everyone across the nation. We don’t claim to own any of the documents/files/content shared on this platform.
If you are fresh UPSC Aspirants, we recommend you know about UPSC Prelims and UPSC Mains and also UPSC Optionals for a better understanding of the exam.
You might also be interested in-
Previous Year Modern History Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year World History Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year Geography Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year Science and technology Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year Polity Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year Environment Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year Security Issues Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year Social Justice Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year Essay Question Pdf Download – Click Here
Previous Year Disaster Management Question Pdf Download – Click Here